Pages

Monday 24 December 2012

Gingerbread Snaps

This is one of my holiday recipes this year. Find the other ones here: 

Gingerbread Snaps
Honestly, I hadn't planned for these to be snap cookies. I was aiming for more of a chewy soft cookie, but I guess I rolled them too thin, and they came out from the oven snappier than I thought they would. After they cooled, they became tender crisp, almost like a shortbread texture. So I guess I really made some sort of ginger-short-bread. 

The Recipe
Dry ingredients: 
  • 1 cup barley flour
  • 1/4 cup oat bran
  • 1/4 cup teff flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Wet ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup milk (any fat content is OK, I used skim)
  • 1 egg white (or about 2.5 tbsp liquid eggs)
  • 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp very light margarine (not meant for baking, but I think it contributed to my lucky accident)
  • 2 tbsp light cream cheese
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1–2 tsp fresh, ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
Sift and stir together dry ingredients. Heat butter, margarine, and cream cheese to melt. Stir in sugar, ginger, and cardamom. Whisk in milk. Add egg white and whisk to mix. Pour over flour mixture and stir to form dough. Roll out into a thin layer, between 1/8 and 1/16 inch (or about 2 mm) thick. Cut out into gingerbread man shapes (or whatever shapes you desire), and bake in a 325 °F (~160 °C) oven for 6 - 8 minutes until top surface is matte and colour is slightly paler than dough. Allow to cool on a rack and decorate to make your gingerbread men come alive!

Note: for larger cookies, make sure to dock them with a fork or a docking wheel, before baking to prevent odd air pockets from forming. 
Measured out flour mixture - teff flour on top

Gingerbread men and women cut-outs

Baked cookies. Wish I could convey smells via Blogger. 

A cheerful looking plate, wouldn't you say?

Thought I'd show you some more of my icing fun. I just used a royal icing recipe. For the green icing, I added a bit of matcha green tea powder, and for the pink icing, I replaced the water with blackberry juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment