Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

Buckwheat banana pancakes

There are many healthy ways to start a day. Homemade buckwheat banana pancakes is one of those ways. These pancakes are soft and fluffy on the inside and have a thin, crispy coconut crust on the top and bottom. They are also very easy and quick to make.

The recipe: I peel and chop 2 medium-sized, ripe bananas and place in a bowl. Then I separate two eggs and place 1 egg yolk in the bowl with the bananas and the 2 egg whites in a clean bowl for whisking later. I add 3 tablespoons of buckwheat flour and 1/4 teaspoons of salt to the banana and egg yolk. Using a fork, I mash the bananas and thoroughly combine the flour and egg yolk and set aside. Using a whisk, I beat the egg whites until it holds a soft peak. As I preheat a non-stick pan, I gently fold the beaten egg whites and banana mixture together, leaving a few small lumps. The pancake mixture is ready. I add a about a teaspoon of margarine to the pan and swirl it around. Before I spoon the pancake mixture onto the pan, I sprinkle some dried, shredded, unsweetened coconut where I plan to place my pancakes. I then spoon my pancake batter into the pan (about 3-4 tbsp of batter per pancake), sprinkle over some more coconut, and let the pancakes cook unit small bubbles start to pop on the upper surface (about 2 minutes). I flip the pancakes and let the uncooked side brown for another 2 minutes. The first batch of pancakes is ready to serve!

Since there's such a high banana content in these cakes, I find that they are sweet and moist enough to eat on their own, but they can certainly be topped with any pancake topping of choice. By the way, these pancakes happen to be gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free. Who would've guessed?

Disclaimer: Please note that this recipe has not been reviewed by FAI or medical experts. Avoidance is the only accepted course of treatment for food allergy. Always verify ingredients or food products by checking with the manufacturer and/or your physician to ensure that any foods are safe for your unique allergy issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment